This is a recipe requested by one of my readers Sarah Eicher from Germany. Sate Tahu – Tofu Satay is already familiar to Indonesian culinary lovers, but this tofu satay is a little different from the others. The uniqueness lies in the rich, savory taste, and yet so light in texture. You can serve these little darlings with peanut sauce as snacks or accompany with rice, yellow rice, or noodles and other dishes as a main course.
- 500 grams medium soft tofu
- 100 grams freshly grated coconuts
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery leaves
- 2 medium size onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- Ground pepper to taste
- Fine salt to taste
- Cooking oil for frying
- Mashed tofu and spice paste in a bowl
- Add grated coconut, celery, and eggs. Mix altogether it forms a soft dough
- Add salt and pepper to taste, mix again until all ingredients well incorporated
- Meanwhile, heat the oil to fry
- Shape the dough into small balls resembling small ping-pong balls
- Fry these delicious balls until golden brown
- Remove from the oil and serve it with peanut sauce on bamboo skewers
Tips & Notes:
If you don't have freshly grated coconut, you can use desiccated coconut. Warm the coconut in a small saucepan with a little water to get the soft texture.
For a healthier variation, you can bake these balls in the oven or barbeque it instead.