There many types of sambals in Indonesian, the variations are endless, so you will never get bored. One of my favourite sambal is the sambal kemiri or spicy sauce made from candlenuts, it has that spicy taste and yet so creamy in texture. The different between this sambal to any other sambals is absent of terasi (shrimp paste), so it’s suitable for vegetarian and vegan.
- 12 rawits or bird eye red chilies
- 3 curly red chilies
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tomato
- 5 kemiri or candle nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 big red onion or 3 shallots
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- The first stage is to first fry all ingredient 1 with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil until soft, remove from the fire.
- Then grind all the ingredients using a mortar and a pestle, including brown sugar and salt, mix well and ready to be served.